The following information was received from Algoma Public Health (APH):
“It’s that time of year again – flu season. The vaccine continues to be offered at no charge to all Ontario residents. Sault Ste. Marie and area residents can make an appointment by calling 705-541-2332.
Residents in the Algoma District (Blind River, Elliot Lake, Wawa and areas) can make an appointment by calling 1-800-469-2449. The appointment line is open Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Flu Shot Clinics in Eastern Algoma will be held at the following locations and dates:
- Blind River, Algoma Public Health Office, 9B Lawton: October 16, 18, 25, 31 and November 27
- Iron Bridge, Lions Club, 10 Clarissa St.: November 8
- Thessalon, Thessalon Public School, 90 Stanley St.: November 19
- Bruce Mines, Arthur Henderson Public School, 2 Henderson Lane: November 22
- Desbarats, Central Algoma Secondary School (CASS), 32 Kensington Rd.: November 13, 3:00-6:00 p.m.
Seniors and those at higher risk will be prioritized for immunization in October followed by the general public in November and December.
All clinics in Sault Ste. Marie will be held in the Health Promotion Centre (two stores north of Canadian Tire) located in the Cambrian Mall – not to be confused with LifeLabs or Superior Family Health Team, also located in the mall.
Please wear a short-sleeved shirt and arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before your appointment.
Stay healthy this flu season. Here’s how:
• Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 15 seconds.
• Cough and sneeze into your upper sleeve or a tissue, not in your hand. Dispose of tissues immediately and wash your hands afterwards.
• Stay home if you have flu-like symptoms (i.e., fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue).
• Get your flu shot.
For more information on the seasonal flu, please visit www.algomapublichealth.com or join the conversation on Facebook.”