On Friday, October 24th, municipal staff wore pink to “Dress for the Cause” and hosted a Coffee Break Day to raise money for breast cancer research. Coffee, tea and an assortment of baked goodies were enjoyed by all throughout the day. A total of $175.00 was raised and forwarded to the Breast Cancer Society of Canada. Thank you to all who stopped by the office and donated. (Photo: Wayne Tonelli of Iron Bridge, sporting the pink bra sticker, “Dressed for the Cause” with Municipal Staff)
Original October 22/14 post follows:
On Friday, October 24th, Municipal Staff will be wearing pink as we “Dress for the Cause” and help to raise money for life saving breast cancer research by hosting a Coffee Break Day. Everyone is invited to come to the Municipal Office (7 Bridge St., Iron Bridge) and, for a small donation, enjoy a cup of coffee or tea and some baked goodies. All proceeds go to the Breast Cancer Society of Canada.
*Did you know that:
- 1 in 9 Canadian women is expected to develop breast cancer during her lifetime;
- This year an estimated 24,400 Canadian women will be diagnosed with breast cancer;
- Approximately 14 Canadian women die of breast cancer every day;
- Of all new cancers in women, 26% are estimated to be breast cancer;
- For every 4 men diagnosed with breast cancer, 1 will die.
Because of your donations:
- Breast cancer death rates have declined considerably: in Canada, the breast cancer death rate has decreased by more than 35% and is the lowest it has been since 1950.
- Thanks to improvements in screening, detection and treatment the 5 year survival rate for men is 80% and 88% for women. Research is making a difference!
*From the Breast Cancer Society of Canada
For more information about the Breast Cancer Society of Canada, “Dress for the Cause”, and how you or your workplace can participate please visit www.DressForTheCause.ca