Heritage Park Museum
Located at 2 Little Rapids Road, approximately 5 km north of Thessalon, just off Highway 129, next to the Thessalon Township Community Centre. Geo-location information
Hours of Operation: July and August
10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday-Sunday
Admission is by donation – Donations help us to maintain and expand our facilities
Established in 1977, the Heritage Park Museum offers a glimpse of what life would have been like for those living in the area over 100 years ago: authentic displays and buildings include a general store, a chapel, the blacksmith shop, a drive shed, the schoolhouse and a pioneer home.
The Park plays host to the annual Country Fair and Silent Auction held on the Monday of the Civic Holiday weekend in August, from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Highlights include live, local music, amazing cooking and baking, a tractor show, children’s activities, vendors, historical displays, and demonstrations of blacksmith skills. During the off-season the Park is available for group tours, weddings, or other events, by appointment only. Contact Mary Anne MacDonald (Museum Curator) at 705-842-2722. The Heritage Park Museum is wholly owned and operated by the Thessalon Township Heritage Association.
Iron Bridge Historical Museum
Located at 1 James Street, Iron Bridge, on the south side of Highway 17.
Hours of Operation:
9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
July & August; Daily (Canada Day inclusive) 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Admissions by donation – Donations help us to maintain and expand our facilities
Facilities include accessible Public Washrooms – available from 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. throughout the season (from Victoria Day weekend), picnic tables and a covered gazebo; providing a shady spot for a picnic lunch.
The gazebo also houses the Saturday Farmers’ Market, as well as periodically hosting exhibits by local artists and a free children’s arts program (supplies included). Check with the Municipal Office for dates.
The museum was first established in 1974 when grant funding was secured to allow a group of students to relocate and refurbish a timber structure building. This long cabin dates back to 1879, originally owned by John and Sandy MacDougall. The log cabin was built as a homestead and formerly located at the family farm in Sowerby.
This cabin is now the Main Museum Building, containing many artifacts used by farmers and loggers in the area. The Tourist Information Centre, souvenirs and beverages are available in the log home. Come and see the ambulance bed used by Tulloch’s Taxi to transport sick or injured residents, and the Ingram family’s fireless stove. There is a wide range of artifacts here, including local wedding gowns, WWII military uniforms, 1950’s era baseball uniforms, 25 years of Bind River District High School graduation programs and graduate names, items from the Inkster family farm in Dean Lake, and much more.
Originally built in 1890, the timber home of Lawrence and Andrena Tulloch/Carlyle was relocated to the Museum site from Bright Township. The home depicts the interior of a local farm home and contains artifacts commonly in use until 1939. Come see the homemade quilt quilted by Mrs. Charles (Mary) Rosenburg c. 1903, the Tait Family Bible from 1886, the Bell family table built over a hundred years ago with square nails, a Women’s Institute of Iron Bridge fundraising quilt embroidered with many early residents’ names, a late 19th century hair wreath made by Mrs. Annie (Henry) Eaket, and many more early 20th century artifacts used in every room of the early residents’ homes.
Weekly Farmers’ Markets are held in the Gazebo every Saturday from mid-June until the end of September 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Rain or Shine.
Visit this museum to view artifacts, discover local souvenirs, admire books and prints by local authors and artists, and learn about the history of the earliest settlers to the Iron Bridge area with supervised access to the Township Cemetery Record located in the log house.
Our friendly and knowledgeable attendants will be happy to assist you with travelling inquiries.
Maps and pamphlets are available