NOTICE OF THE PASSING OF BY-LAW #21-50
TO REPEAL BY-LAW #14-08 REGARDING OPEN AIR BURNING
TAKE NOTICE that the Council of The Corporation of The Municipality of Huron Shores passed By-law # 21-50 on the 27th day of October, 2021 prohibiting sky lanterns within the Municipality of Huron Shores.
Sky lanterns (also known as flying lanterns or Chinese lanterns) pose as a serious fire and safety hazards because they use an open flame to fly, and land in unpredictable areas creating concern for:
- Potential fire hazards for fields, forest and homes
- Potential burn hazard of persons and animals
- Risk of entanglement or entrapment for animals
- Risk of animals digesting the remaining material
- Threat to aircrafts (causing delays)
The Municipality of Huron Shores and Fire Department urges member of the community to refrain from the purchase and use of flying lanterns and requests retailers to comply in removing them from their shelves.