Reminder – Fireworks are not permitted during a Municipal Fire Ban or Provincial Fire Restriction and it is YOUR responsibility to verify there are no restrictions before lighting fireworks.
- Read the instructions, cautions and warning labels on each firework item.
- Unused fireworks should be stored in a non-humid environment, with a consistent temperature in a cardboard box. Keep fireworks away from direct heat, flames and lit cigarettes.
- Set up outdoors in a clear, open space. To ensure stability light fireworks on a hard, flat and level surface.
- Make sure the direction of the wind is blowing away from the spectators and combustible materials.
- Check each firework label for safety distances; ensure all spectators are at least the safety distance away from the display, keeping special supervision on children.
- Have a bucket of sand, supply of water and a working fire extinguisher on hand.
- Only adults (18 years or over) should handle the fireworks.
- If you are impaired (alcohol or drugs) do not handle the fireworks.
- Light only one firework item at a time.
- Wear protective eye glasses and gloves. Light at arm’s length and then stand back.
- Never lean over the fireworks and keep hair and clothes away from fire sources.
- Never attempt to re-light a “dud” or defective firework.
- Never hold a lit firework item in your hand.
Fire Prevention Officer